Artists and colleagues Christine Tillman and Terry Lansburgh are making "sculptures to be photographed". This blog will chronicle their collaboration.

Thursday, May 14, 2009

Artists I'm Thinking About-Polly Apfelbaum

I studied painting and drawing in school but I primarily consider myself a "very flat sculptor." I'm interested in sculpture for its materiality and objectness but most of my sculpture barely enters the third dimension. The piece below is a good example of that. It consists of three felt circles that lie flat on the floor acting like pools of wonky handmade stars that you could jump into.

As I tell my drawing and painting students, as soon as you photograph something you flatten the space. As I was thinking about working with Terry Ibegan looking at how I could work both flat and three dimensionally, allowing the photographic process to flatten the piece for me.

Christine Buckton Tillman - Constellations hand embroidery on wool felt 2007

I also wanted to share some of Polly Apfelbaum's work. I think her work jumps between painting and sculpture too she's been a big inspiration for me over the years. She works formally with shape and simple forms while the color just knocks you out. After seeing her work in grad school I felt like I had the permission to work flat and on the floor- although I didn't until I moved to Baltimore and started making contact paper pieces on the floor.

Polly Apfelbaum Pink Crush 2007

I adore that glow that the pink casts on the wall.

Polly Apfelbaum Today I Love Everybody 2007

Really big things made out of smaller things and held together by gravity.

Polly Apfelbaum Las Vegas Room 2009

The color in this piece is so strong. It's made from sequined fabric on the floor. I love the bright color against the neutral concrete and white walls.