Artists and colleagues Christine Tillman and Terry Lansburgh are making "sculptures to be photographed". This blog will chronicle their collaboration.

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Christine's Sketchbook-May 5, 2009

Yesterday Terry and I narrowed our location choices down to 7 "finalists" so to speak: three from behind Clipper Mill and four from Druid Hill Park. Now I need to think about each of them for a little while and think about materials and how I could build a form within the space. While that was something that was on my mind as we scouted for locations I was more interested in the possibilities each space had to offer rather than what I might ACTUALLY do in the space.

What's my next logical step? Start working in my sketchbook.
I take my sketchbook practice seriously. I fill about 4 each year with sketches plans and lists. A little bird told me today that to really do the sketchbook thing right you probably have to be pretty compulsive. I like to think of it as making my thought process another piece of art. I do a lot of my thinking in my sketchbook. In my studio I work in so many media and have lots of different projects going on at once- it's not unusual for me to draw for an hour then switch to weaving Mylar, or bending wood veneer, then go back to another drawing, or plans and research for something big.
My sketchbook keeps me organized and helps me keep track of the wide variety of ideas I have going on at any one time. In addition to writing down ideas and sketching out what I want something to look like, I also make lists and collect source imagery.
So after we narrowed it down to 7 locations the first thing I did was print out 3x 5's of each place so I could tape them into my sketchbook leaving enough space at the bottom to jot down ideas about the strengths and weaknesses of each space. My plan is to visit these pages a few times over the next week or so and start to think about how I could work sculpturally in each space. I want to work large and with color but I'd like the piece to have more depth and three dimensionality than the Dandelion piece- right now I'm thinking about depth in the image and how the sculpture could play with that. We'll see.