Artists and colleagues Christine Tillman and Terry Lansburgh are making "sculptures to be photographed". This blog will chronicle their collaboration.

Friday, July 17, 2009

Paper Chain

(click to enlarge)

This piece feels really goofy to me. It's nothing like I expected. I think it's because this image almost more than any other looks so different than it did during the shoot. During the shoot I could see the sculpture in the context of the entire site- the expanse of the metal, the sky, the gravel parking lot where my car was- and in this shot it becomes so dense with information and much more abstract that I imagined.

We've shown the images to a few dozen people now, and this one gets a really positive response, I find myself listening really intensely to what they have to say about it- I'm hoping they'll help me figure this one out.

I think I like it, it's just not at all how I imagined it would look. I think that's really the best part of collaborating- seeing things in an entirely new way- and making work that you wouldn't make otherwise. Since the sculptural set up on this one is so simple I wouldn't mind taking it to a few new sites.