Artists and colleagues Christine Tillman and Terry Lansburgh are making "sculptures to be photographed". This blog will chronicle their collaboration.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Shoot Report-Paper Chain

Wednesday morning we planned on shooting at 10b and the Tractor Building but were worried that with the slight cloud cover in the morning we'd get all set up and then lose our light. After the way the bench shoot ended we were a little gun shy. We had one of our stellar assistants line up for the day to do the post it shoots so we decided that we should stall a little by shooting the paper chain.

This was hands down the easiest shot since all we had to do was attach my tiny paper chain to the rusty metal. Too bad that no adhesive would stick to the rusty metal that was still wet from the previous night's rainstorm. However I was able to drape the chain from weed to weed in all the overgrowth in front of the metal thing. Baltimore's urban overgrowth has become a recurring element in our series and I'm glad we were able to incorporate this into the shot a little more directly.


We took two shots. One from the right with a little more rust and one from the left with negative space and shadows. I haven't been looking through Terry's viewfinder at all I'm letting composition be solely up to him, which has been one of the unexpected challenges for me from this project. However I suspect that that last one shot with all the white space behind the chain will the the most like one of my drawings.


Since there was really nothing for our assistant to do in this shot except hang out and hope that the weather cleared up. Since I hadn't ever tested out out how post-its adhere to the surfaces we'd be working on I sent our trusty assistant over to see if we'd need reinforcements on brick and metal. We got pretty lucky.