Artists and colleagues Christine Tillman and Terry Lansburgh are making "sculptures to be photographed". This blog will chronicle their collaboration.

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Plans-Tractor Building


We knew right away that this building would be complicated to work on. Very little of it is accessible thanks to construction materials being stored on site and weeds that are growing along the edge of the building. However what all that stuff lacks in making the building accessible they make up for it in adding color to the site. The red of the brick is complimented nicely with the bright green of Baltimore's fast growing summer overgrowth and a few bits of random teal.

I'll only be able to access the part of the building that is near the staircase, which meant I needed to work small and bright. Since we'd be working vertically I decided to use post it notes- not that the stick-um will help much against brick and dirty glass. We'll be bringing adhesive reinforcements.

The space was so inaccessible that I needed to make the pattern flexible. I made 5 separate flowers that could go roughly into spaces I could estimate. There's room for give and take. This piece has two map drawings one that shows how to put the flowers together and another labeled photograph from the site.



Earlier this summer I had my mom send any old needlework books that featured botanical imagery, one of which had a terrific William Morris image that I was able to adapt the tiniest flowers for this piece.