Artists and colleagues Christine Tillman and Terry Lansburgh are making "sculptures to be photographed". This blog will chronicle their collaboration.

Friday, June 26, 2009

Plans- Paper Chain


Back in April when Terry and I were location scouting we found this hunk of rusted metal with all these little pegs sprouting out of it. Both of us immediately wanted to work with it but realized that the interesting part was the rusty texture and in order to capture that we'd need to work on a scale that was radically different than our other more landscape based images.

 In the mean time in the part of my artistic life that isn't about this collaboration I'd been working in the ceramics studio on a ceramic paper chain. A quick glance around my studio and I came across a package of quilling paper that I'd bought because it was packaged so nicely- paper stripes wrapped in plastic. I realized I could make a tiny paper chain from this and this would allow us to capture that rusted metal texture AND bring to that discarded piece of who knows what a little party.