Artists and colleagues Christine Tillman and Terry Lansburgh are making "sculptures to be photographed". This blog will chronicle their collaboration.

Monday, June 22, 2009

Research Outside the Studio

Sometimes things fall into place at just the right time. On Thursday Mr Tillman and I went to Daedalus Books to kill a little time before heading to my in-laws for dinner. While digging around I came across this book Extreme Horticulture by John Pfahl. Not only was I thrilled at the topiary on the cover I realized that John Pfahl was the artist that brought Terry and I together for this collaboration. Needless to say I bought the book.
The book chronicles John Pfhal's images of particularly over the top landscaping and plants and runs the gamut from topiary, to enormous fig trees, prize winning pumpkins, and a new planting next to a highway in Tuscon.
Rebecca Solnit's essay chronicles gardening from  Eden to landscaping and gardening trends through British and American history along with a little evolution of the circus and freak show thrown in for good measure. She makes a good case for the over the top landscaping that Pfhal chronicles  and the essay is illustrated completely with Pfhal's collection of vintage postcards of horticultural  wonders like faux giant apples. 

Of course this inspired a Friday jaunt to the Ladew Topiary Gardens which is considered by the Garden Club of America to be "the most outstanding topiary garden in America." YES!
I've lived in Maryland for 7 years and only now gone to visit this?
I was kind of hoping for a wee bit more kitsch, but the football field length of hedge topped with topiary swans would have to do.


There was even topiary bunting draping casually across the hedges next to the mansion!

Finally, I've been meaning to take a picture of these streamers for months, they're at the Sunoco station that is also a used car dealership that I drive past on my way to school. This part of Falls Road has 3 competing gas stations and this is how the Sunoco sets itself apart.